Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dr Davis links

I browse Dr Davis' blog occasionally. Although Dr D seems to be a total cholesterol believer and has his sights set on 60:60:60 for HDL, LDL and Trigs (and goes with the drug therapy needed to get there) he does have very extensive experience of getting people to change their eating habits. His dislike of wheat seems to come more from using it as a metaphor for junk food, but the addiction aspect is clearly up there too. This post and this one drop in to that last category.

I really like this one too. Been reading Sholokhov's "Virgin Soil Upturned". I'm thankful to be able to make food choices. I'm never hungry. I am grateful.

And then we have this one too. The beginnings of saturated fat acceptance!!!! Woo hoo. Here's the bit I like:

"Adding back saturated fat. I say "adding back" since most of us (including myself) went too far down the "saturated fat is bad" path over the past few years. While I do not advocate a carte blanche approach to saturated fat, I believe that adding back eggs (preferably free-range and/or omega-3 rich), lean meats, and hard cheeses is a good idea"

Okay, it's cautious, but its a shift in the right direction. Bring on the carte blanche and let the chickens choose their own weeds. Of course there's not a lot of saturated fat in eggs, so here we have cholesterol acceptance too, if only dietary... That's nice to read.

Peter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Milk and cheese also have addictive properties, much like wheat, due to similar opioid peptides. It is much harder to eat cream cheese (with 2g protein / oz) than ice cream, milk, or hard cheese. Any diet that takes out casein, lactose, and gluten can almost be guaranteed to lower one's weight and many other risk factors.

Dr. Eades has a new post about many low-carbers being sabotaged by lots of cheese and nuts. Both have their own addictive qualities, whereas it is much less common for somebody to be addicted to meat or egg yolks or butter. He doesn't seem to realize the role opioids in cheese can play in causing some people to over-eat.

I look for cheeses with low protein and 50% more fat than protein. Good cream cheese is very hard to binge, unless you eat it on a wheat bagel, of course. Less protein equals less opioids. Whey protein has little or no opioids, AFAIK. I feel the safer dairy foods are high-fat, low-carb, and low-protein. Ghee, then butter, then cream cheese, then sour cream. Hard cheese, yogurt, and milk cause increasingly more problems.

Olga said...

You should check out Dr. Davis' latest post. It appears that he is adjusting his way of thinking about diet and heart disease. Very impressive for a cardiologist!

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

Peter said...

Yes, he certainly is. I feel there is some way for him to go in saturated fat acceptance and, of course, if he continues as he is doing he will eventually end up as a cholesterol sceptic, especially when he starts to consider the all cause mortality effects of an LDL of 60mg/dl! I feel there is some way to go yet, so I'm not holding my breath here, but he's headed the right way... DR BG has some effect here I think!

Peter